The term “iOS” was originally know as “iPhone OS” and was introduced in 2007 along with the first iPhone hardware device Apple released. It was the term used to describe the software that would operate the iPhone and is derived from the term “OS X”, which is how Apple describes its “operating system” for its Macintosh computers. The “X” stands for 10 which is the newest version of the computer software Apple created to operate the desktop and laptop computers they design. The “iOS” platform is a mobile-device-based software system that works like a computer system, but on mobile devices like portable phones. It is designed to be smaller, faster and use less power. It also has a “touch” friendly user interface so it works better when a finger is used to interface with the system instead of a mouse or stylus that has been used in the past to interact with operating systems. The iPhone has run on iOS since its release in 2007.
iOS is Apple’s mobile operating system used to run the popular iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch devices. Formerly known as the iPhone OS, there are over 900,000 iOS applications available for download in the Apple app store, the most popular app store of any mobile device. iOS utilizes a multi-touch interface where simple gestures are used to operate the device, like swiping your finger across the screen to move to the next page or pinching your fingers to zoom out.
Since its release, iOS has gone through multiple updates, with recent updates adding the ability to create folders for app icons and the ability to multi-task. The updates are generally free for iPhone and iPad users, while iPod Touch users are sometimes required to pay a nominal fee.
iOS 7 Features:
- iTunes Radio. Let’s start with the big one. iTunes Radio is a streaming music service similar to Pandora, iTunes Radio includes features radio stations like songs that are trending on Twitter; create radio stations based on an genre, artist or a specific song; add songs playing in iTunes Radio to your iTunes wish list. You can also browse your iTunes Radio history and buy music directly from the app. It is ad-supported, with no ads for iTunes Match subscribers.
- Control Center. Swipe up from the bottom of the device to turn on AirPlay, play songs, modify the brightness of the device and other basic controls.
- Multitasking. The new multitasking scheme includes all apps and includes ‘intelligent scheduling’, which updates apps periodically throughout the day based on how often you use the app in order for the app to be updated when you launch it. It also includes an updated task manager that will show you a preview of the app before moving to it.
- Safari. New visual tab interface allows shows a preview of the webpage as you are switching between them, new bookmarks menu includes shared links from people you follow on Twitter, and Safari now allows you to swipe back to previous pages.
- AirDrop. Apps that support the share sheet will allow you to share data like photos with people nearby. AirDrop is only supported on the most recent devices like the iPad 4, iPad Mini, iPhone 5 and the latest iPod Touch.
- Camera. Now support photo filters. Also includes a redesigned Photos app that includes automatically organizing photos into ‘moments’, which uses the date and location to help manage your photos. This means photos from your trip to Florida will have automatically be grouped together.
- Siri. New interface, much like the other default apps. Siri can now do things like increase the brightness of the screen and play voicemail. Siri also has more access to Wikipedia, Twitter and the Bing search engine.
- App Store. Automatic app updates and the ability to search for popular apps near your location.
- Music and Videos. All purchased music and videos now show up even if they aren’t on your device.
- Facetime Audio. Skip the visuals and just make an audio call.
- Phone, FaceTime and Message blocking. This feature has been a long time in coming.
- Activation Lock. Anyone who tries to turn off Find my iPhone or wipe the device won’t be able to use it without the Account name and password.
- Folders. The folders now support multiple pages, so you can hundreds of apps in a single folder.